Senior 2D Illustrator
Remote US / Canada
House of How Games
We believe that a universe without fun would be a pretty dull place to exist… and that games are the best medium in the world to provide that fun. We love games which is why we make games. We make games to be a part of providing that outlet for escape, competition, exploration, social connection and so much more to a global audience of 3B+ players and growing.
We believe in authentic leadership, real conversations, making decisions, learning from mistakes but always continuing to move forward. We don’t want big company politics. We just want to do our best work with good people and have fun doing what we love.
We believe that our team performs best when everyone shows up as their authentic full self and we strive to empower everyone in the studio to be a game-maker. We encourage everyone to have an entrepreneurial mindset and we foster continuous learning and innovation.
In a time of so much industry consolidation, House of How is proud to be fully independent. We are based out of Bothell, Washington with remote game-makers all over the USA. We have a satellite studio in Boden, Sweden and are also now expanding our remote workforce in British Columbia, Canada.
Starting out as colleagues at Microsoft Games, our leads worked with each other for years before setting out on a new adventure together. From humble beginnings, we grew slowly and carefully to ensure we could control our own destiny. We are now at 75+ people and growing rapidly as our industry reputation is bringing more and more projects to the studio. Come join our team and be part of the amazing growth story of House of How Games and help us to entertain the planet!
We are looking for a Senior 2D Illustrator to create believable and painterly quality artwork. We are looking for someone who has a passion for games to drive our products to the next level. Day-to-day activities will include working closely with a dev team to concept, design, and create art assets in a key part of quality experiences that make our games great!
You should have a broad knowledge of art tools, a keen ability to create and meet estimates, and a good sense for color, shape, form, pose, and lighting.
As a senior artist, you should also have a track record of coordinating with other disciplines and managing deliverables in coordination with multiple people on your team, creating and following processes and an environment that sets the project up for success.
You will join us as a developer on our dark fantasy roguelike deckbuilder game. It’s an IP tie-in with a well-known video game IP in partnership with a major publisher. The game is AA in scope, similar to other games in the genre such as Slay the Spire or Griftlands, with a particular focus on high-quality art and animation. We’re targeting a Steam release in late 2024, with a similarly-scoped project beginning afterwards.
You’ll be supported by our Art Director and Art Lead each with 10+ years of AAA game art experience.
Our Design Director for the game has 25 years of game design leadership experience, having shipped over 45 CCG products in creative leadership positions, including the Star Wars CCG, Young Jedi CCG, Star Trek CCG, as well as video games such as Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and Gears of War 3. Our art team has experience with a wide variety of AAA game franchises, including Borderlands, Halo, Doom, and Dead Space.
- Conceptualize and illustrate compelling characters and environments that appear in game.
- Own and supervise overall illustration efforts for your projects.
- Support, mentor and inspire the art team to deliver overall goals and project on time.
- Aid other illustrators in providing feedback with paint overs and other guidance, to help align them to the overall art vision of the product that you help create.
- Work with animators and developers to help bring your art to life/motion.
- 7+ years experience in game development as a 2D artist or equivalent, in collaboration with other technical and non-technical disciplines.
- Shipped at least one full AA/AAA game as an artist.
- A portfolio demonstrating strong visual design, dynamic compositions, compelling silhouettes, and creative use of camera angles.
- Strong fundamentals in proportions, anatomy, materials, color usage, lighting, areas of detail and areas of rest.
- Ability to match an established art style.
- Advanced Photoshop skills.
- Strong file management skills.
- Experience in ADO, Trello, Jira, or other task tracking systems.
- Experience and comfort with detailed and accurate project planning.
- Ability to offer mentorship to more junior artists on the team.
- Written and spoken English fluency.
- Cleared to work and located in the United States, Canada, or Sweden, or able to work as an international contractor from other locations, preferably in Europe.
- Able to schedule your workday with at least 4 hours overlap with Western USA (more overlap is expected for employees in USA and Canada).
- A passionate interest in games to drive our products to the next level.
- Experience in source control systems such as Git or SVN.
- An understanding and ability with 3D art.
- Experience in Unreal, Unity, or other engines.
- Coding, Animation, Audio, etc. If you have any related side skills, please tell us!
Although we’re a relatively small-and-growing remote team, we work hard to offer competitive salaries regardless of location, as well as industry-leading healthcare coverage, flexible time-off policy, comprehensive dental/vision/life/AD&D/parental leave benefits, discretionary bonus opportunities, 401(k) with matching, social clubs, career training events, and much more.
In addition, House of How employees also receive:
- 10 days of accrued paid time-off, increased to 15 days after three years of employment
- 14 paid House of How-observed holidays annually
- 2.5 paid floating holidays annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
The base pay ranges for this role in Washington state, enumerated by rank, are as follows:
Washington State Pay Range
Artist: $45,000—$65,000 USD
Artist II: $50,000—$70,000 USD
Senior Artist: $60,000—$90,000 USD
Senior Artist II: $65,000—$95,000 USD
Senior Artist III: $75,000—$100,000 USD
Associate Principal Artist: $80,000—$130,000 USD
Principal Artist: $90,000—$140,000 USD
These ranges are determined by a multiplicity of competing factors, including work experience, transferable skills, training, business needs, and market demands. In other locations, these pay ranges may be adjusted, and they are subject to change.
If you think you are a good fit, please apply below!
Please be sure to include the following:
- Resume as PDF
- Link to your demo reel or portfolio (ArtStation preferred, but will accept others if needed)
- Full list of your shipped games (in resume or portfolio)
© 2023 House of How Games LLC. All Rights reserved.