Senior 3D Technical Artist
Seattle / Remote
House of How Games
We believe that a universe without fun would be a pretty dull place to exist… and that games are the best medium in the world to provide that fun. We love games which is why we make games. We make games to be a part of providing that outlet for escape, competition, exploration, social connection and so much more to a global audience of 3B+ players and growing.
We believe in authentic leadership, real conversations, making decisions, learning from mistakes but always continuing to move forward. We don’t want big company politics. We just want to do our best work with good people and have fun doing what we love.
We believe that our team performs best when everyone shows up as their authentic full self and we strive to empower everyone in the studio to be a game-maker. We encourage everyone to have an entrepreneurial mindset and we foster continuous learning and innovation.
In a time of so much industry consolidation, House of How is proud to be fully independent. We are based out of Bothell, Washington with remote game-makers all over the USA. We have a satellite studio in Boden, Sweden and are also now expanding our remote workforce in British Columbia, Canada.
Starting out as colleagues at Microsoft Games, our leads worked with each other for years before setting out on a new adventure together. From humble beginnings, we grew slowly and carefully to ensure we could control our own destiny. We are now at ~50 people and growing rapidly as our industry reputation is bringing more and more projects to the studio. Come join our team and be part of the amazing growth story of House of How Games and help us to entertain the planet!
House of How is looking for a Senior 3D Technical Artist. As an integral part of our team, you’ll work in a variety of areas, from rigging, tools, animation, documentation… who knows! If you’re user-focused, passionate, and innovative this may be the place for you!
- Work closely with artists, designers, and engineers to create and implement 3D art and animations.
- Rig 3D assets (characters, creatures, props, sets, etc.) to achieve the intended animation performance for both gameplay and cinematics.
- Be proactive and vocal about any issues encountered in our rigging pipeline and communicate with the production team in a timely manner.
- Design and enforce rigging standards for assets.
- Oversee the development, deployment, and usage of tools, scripts, and plugins to streamline processes, providing key input and review.
- Lead the design, maintenance, and documentation of art workflows and tool usage, including best practices and pipelines for projects.
- Work quickly and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- 4+ years of professional game development as a Technical Artist, or as an Artist, Animator, or Rigger with some technical experience.
- 1-3 years experience with a game engine such as Unity or Unreal.
- Technical animation skillset; strong familiarity with 3D art workflows and rigging.
- Proficient in Maya, Substance Painter and Designer, Photoshop, and other tools.
- Excellent knowledge of shaders and lighting models, materials, and PBR practices.
- Experience with animation for real-time applications.
- Excellent communication and personal time management within a remote work environment.
- Able to give and receive meaningful critique and feedback.
- Written and Spoken English Fluency.
- Familiarity with Git, or other source control systems.
- Familiarity with ADO, Trello, Jira, or other task tracking systems.
- You have experience working in Agile environments and on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Cleared to work and located in the United States, Canada, or Sweden.
- Shipped 1+ AAA game title(s).
- Experience with Cg, HLSL, or GLSL shader languages.
- Experience working in Blender, ZBrush, Houdini, or Adobe Animate.
- Experience with Python or C#.
- Experience with FX workflows (sprite and particle-based systems).
If you think you are a good fit, please apply below!
Please be sure to include the following:
- Resume (PDF please)
- Link to your demo reel or portfolio (ArtStation preferred, but will accept others if needed)
© 2022 House of How Games LLC. All Rights reserved