Senior Engineering Lead
Seattle / Remote
House of How Games
We believe that a universe without fun would be a pretty dull place to exist… and that games are the best medium in the world to provide that fun. We love games which is why we make games. We make games to be a part of providing that outlet for escape, competition, exploration, social connection and so much more to a global audience of 3B+ players and growing.
We believe in authentic leadership, real conversations, making decisions, learning from mistakes but always continuing to move forward. We don’t want big company politics. We just want to do our best work with good people and have fun doing what we love.
We believe that our team performs best when everyone shows up as their authentic full self and we strive to empower everyone in the studio to be a game-maker. We encourage everyone to have an entrepreneurial mindset and we foster continuous learning and innovation.
In a time of so much industry consolidation, House of How is proud to be fully independent. We are based out of Bothell, Washington with remote game-makers all over the USA. We have a satellite studio in Boden, Sweden and are also now expanding our remote workforce in British Columbia, Canada.
Starting out as colleagues at Microsoft Games, our leads worked with each other for years before setting out on a new adventure together. From humble beginnings, we grew slowly and carefully to ensure we could control our own destiny. We are now at ~50 people and growing rapidly as our industry reputation is bringing more and more projects to the studio. Come join our team and be part of the amazing growth story of House of How Games and help us to entertain the planet!
- Drive multiple features on large projects, or multiple small projects simultaneously.
- Develop gameplay, tools, systems, and fix bugs.
- Plan and estimate work against project tech requirements and goals, participates in overall product planning.
- Work with design and art teams to create gameplay systems that define player experience.
- Integrate effects, art, sound, and animation with a good eye for feel and timing.
- Be able to interpret game design documentation and realize the vision as a gameplay system.
- Participate in code reviews, and write documentation.
- Identify areas of improvement in both code and processes.
- Help identify teams technical needs, and participates in the interview process.
- Assist in coaching, performance, and code reviews of more junior engineers.
- Help direct or execute technical research.
- 5+ Years experience in game development as a software engineer or equivalent, in collaboration with other technical and non technical disciplines.
- Strong fundamental skills in architecture, development, and debugging.
- Technical and organizational leadership capabilities.
- Solid understanding of design patterns and data structures.
- Experience as a strong leader and teammate.
- Ability to offer mentorship to more junior developers on the team.
- Proficiency in source control systems such as Git or SVN.
- Written and Spoken English Fluency.
- Cleared to work and located in the United States, Canada, or Sweden.
- Mobile and/or web development experience.
- Experience in web libraries such as anime.js/three.js etc.
© 2022 House of How Games LLC. All Rights reserved