Senior Unreal Developer
Seattle / Remote
House of How Games
We believe that a universe without fun would be a pretty dull place to exist… and that games are the best medium in the world to provide that fun. We love games which is why we make games. We make games to be a part of providing that outlet for escape, competition, exploration, social connection and so much more to a global audience of 3B+ players and growing.
We believe in authentic leadership, real conversations, making decisions, learning from mistakes but always continuing to move forward. We don’t want big company politics. We just want to do our best work with good people and have fun doing what we love.
We believe that our team performs best when everyone shows up as their authentic full self and we strive to empower everyone in the studio to be a game-maker. We encourage everyone to have an entrepreneurial mindset and we foster continuous learning and innovation.
In a time of so much industry consolidation, House of How is proud to be fully independent. We are based out of Bothell, Washington with remote game-makers all over the USA. We have a satellite studio in Boden, Sweden and are also now expanding our remote workforce in British Columbia, Canada.
Starting out as colleagues at Microsoft Games, our leads worked with each other for years before setting out on a new adventure together. From humble beginnings, we grew slowly and carefully to ensure we could control our own destiny. We are now at 65+ people and growing rapidly as our industry reputation is bringing more and more projects to the studio. Come join our team and be part of the amazing growth story of House of How Games and help us to entertain the planet!
House of How is looking for a Senior Unreal Developer. As an integral part of our team, your responsibilities include pieces such as designing, creating, debugging, maintaining, and optimizing our games, editors, and other related tools used for game development. You will own features and drive quality experiences to make our games great! As a senior, we’ll work together on every project to find the best way for you to produce value each day.
- Drive multiple features on large projects, or multiple small projects simultaneously.
- Develop gameplay, tools, systems, and fix bugs.
- Plan and estimate work against project tech requirements and goals, participates in overall product planning.
- Work with design and art teams to create gameplay systems that define player experience.
- Integrate effects, art, sound, and animation with a good eye for feel and timing.
- Be able to interpret game design documentation and realize the vision as a gameplay system.
- Participate in code reviews, and write documentation.
- Identify areas of improvement in both code and processes.
- Help identify teams technical needs, and participates in the interview process.
- Assist in coaching, performance, and code reviews of more junior engineers.
- Help direct or execute technical research.
- 5+ years experience in game development as a software engineer or equivalent, in collaboration with other technical and non-technical disciplines.
- 2+ years Unreal 4 or Unreal 5 game development experience.
- 2+ years experience on a AA/AAA game as a developer.
- Strong fundamental skills in architecture, development, and debugging.
- Technical and organizational leadership capabilities.
- Solid understanding of design patterns and data structures.
- Experience as a strong leader and teammate.
- Ability to offer mentorship to more junior developers on the team.
- Proficiency in C/C++.
- Proficiency in source control systems such as Git or SVN.
- Written and Spoken English Fluency.
- Cleared to work and located in the United States, Canada, or Sweden.
- Shipped a AA/AAA game as a developer.
- Shipped a game on consoles.
- Proficiency in Unreal Blueprints.
- 2+ years Unity game development experience.
Although we’re a relatively small-and-growing remote team, we work hard to offer competitive salaries regardless of location, as well as industry-leading healthcare coverage, flexible time-off policy, comprehensive dental/vision/life/AD&D benefits, discretionary bonus opportunities, 401(k) with matching, social clubs, career training events, and much more.
In addition, House of How employees also receive:
- 10 days of accrued paid time-off, increased to 15 days after five years of employment
- 14 paid House of How-observed holidays annually
- 2.5 paid floating holidays annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
The base pay ranges for this role in Washington state, enumerated by rank, are as follows:
Washington State Pay Range
Lead Developer: $110,000—$140,000 USD
Engineering Manager: $130,000—$180,000 USD
Senior Engineering Manager: $150,000—$220,000 USD
Developer: $70,000—$90,000 USD
Developer II: $80,000—$100,000 USD
Senior Developer: $90,000—$130,000 USD
Senior Developer II: $110,000—$150,000 USD
Development Specialist: $130,000—$180,000 USD
These ranges are determined by a multiplicity of competing factors, including work experience, transferable skills, training, business needs, and market demands. In other locations, these pay ranges may be adjusted, and they are subject to change.
© 2023 House of How Games LLC. All Rights reserved