Senior 2D Artist - Sweden
House of How Games
We believe that a universe without fun would be a pretty dull place to exist… and that games are the best medium in the world to provide that fun. We love games which is why we make games. We make games to be a part of providing that outlet for escape, competition, exploration, social connection and so much more to a global audience of 3B+ players and growing.
We believe in authentic leadership, real conversations, making decisions, learning from mistakes but always continuing to move forward. We don’t want big company politics. We just want to do our best work with good people and have fun doing what we love.
We believe that our team performs best when everyone shows up as their authentic full self and we strive to empower everyone in the studio to be a game-maker. We encourage everyone to have an entrepreneurial mindset and we foster continuous learning and innovation.
In a time of so much industry consolidation, House of How is proud to be fully independent. We are based out of Bothell, Washington with remote game-makers all over the USA. We have a satellite studio in Boden, Sweden and are also now expanding our remote workforce in British Columbia, Canada.
Starting out as colleagues at Microsoft Games, our leads worked with each other for years before setting out on a new adventure together. From humble beginnings, we grew slowly and carefully to ensure we could control our own destiny. We are now at 75+ people and growing rapidly as our industry reputation is bringing more and more projects to the studio. Come join our team and be part of the amazing growth story of House of How Games and help us to entertain the planet!
We are looking for a Senior 2D Artist to create cute and beautiful artwork. We are looking for someone who has a passion for games to drive our products to the next level. Day-to-day activities will include working closely with a dev team to concept, design, and create art assets in a key part of quality experiences that make our games great!
You should have a broad knowledge of art tools, a keen ability to create and meet estimates, and a good sense for color, shape, form, pose, and lighting.
As a senior artist, you should also have a track record of coordinating with other disciplines and managing deliverables in coordination with multiple people on your team, creating and following processes and an environment that sets the project up for success.
You will join us as a senior artist on a life sim game in a massive global kids’ IP. The game is a cutesy stylized social hub MMO with various minigames and has daily active users in the high tens of millions.
You’ll be supported by our Art Director with 10+ years of AAA game art experience.
- Research, conceptualize and craft visual styles for projects.
- Own and supervise overall illustration efforts for your projects.
- Support, mentor and inspire the art team to deliver overall goals and project on time.
- Aid other illustrators in providing feedback with paintovers and other guidance, to help align them to the overall art vision of the product that you help create.
- Work in a variety of styles, producing illustrations of characters, backgrounds, props, events, etc.
- Ability to create solid UI design when needed.
- Work with animators and developers to help bring your art to life/motion.
- Cleared to work and located in Sweden and willing to relocate or commute to Boden in Northern Sweden.
- 7+ years experience in game development as a 2D artist or equivalent, in collaboration with other technical and non-technical disciplines.
- Shipped at least one full AA/AAA game as an artist.
- A portfolio demonstrating strong visual design, dynamic compositions, compelling silhouettes, and creative use of camera angles.
- Strong fundamentals in proportions, anatomy, materials, color usage, lighting, areas of detail and areas of rest.
- Ability to work across a variety of styles.
- Advanced Photoshop skills.
- Experience in source control systems such as Git or SVN.
- Experience in ADO, Trello, Jira, or other task tracking systems.
- Experience in Unreal, Unity, or other engines.
- Experience and comfort with detailed and accurate project planning.
- Ability to offer mentorship to more junior artists on the team.
- Written and spoken English fluency.
- A passionate interest in games to drive our products to the next level.
- An understanding and ability with 3D art.
- Coding, Animation, Audio, etc. If you have any related side skills, please tell us!
If you think you are a good fit, please apply below!
Please be sure to include the following:
- Resume as PDF
- Link to your demo reel or portfolio (ArtStation preferred, but will accept others if needed)
- Full list of your shipped games (in resume or portfolio)
© 2023 House of How Games LLC. All Rights reserved.