Senior Designer - Sweden
House of How Games
We believe that a universe without fun would be a pretty dull place to exist… and that games are the best medium in the world to provide that fun. We love games which is why we make games. We make games to be a part of providing that outlet for escape, competition, exploration, social connection and so much more to a global audience of 3B+ players and growing.
We believe in authentic leadership, real conversations, making decisions, learning from mistakes but always continuing to move forward. We don’t want big company politics. We just want to do our best work with good people and have fun doing what we love.
We believe that our team performs best when everyone shows up as their authentic full self and we strive to empower everyone in the studio to be a game-maker. We encourage everyone to have an entrepreneurial mindset and we foster continuous learning and innovation.
In a time of so much industry consolidation, House of How is proud to be fully independent. We are based out of Bothell, Washington with remote game-makers all over the USA. We have a satellite studio in Boden, Sweden and are also now expanding our remote workforce in British Columbia, Canada.
Starting out as colleagues at Microsoft Games, our leads worked with each other for years before setting out on a new adventure together. From humble beginnings, we grew slowly and carefully to ensure we could control our own destiny. We are now at 75+ people and growing rapidly as our industry reputation is bringing more and more projects to the studio. Come join our team and be part of the amazing growth story of House of How Games and help us to entertain the planet!
- Brainstorm, design, spec, and implement multiple systems to create a highly compelling game loop.
- Perform advanced scripting and tool work.
- Work and coordinate with the Design Director to build experiences and pacing that make sense across the greater game.
- Participate and lead design discussions and reviews.
- Track work, goals, and progress in task tracking software.
- Pull work from multiple other disciplines towards a cohesive design goal, such as PFX, art, sound, and animation.
- Tweak and tune jumps, damage numbers, sightlines and everything else towards design goals, incorporating team and user feedback.
- Identify areas of improvement in both design and processes.
- Identify teams’ technical needs and participate in the interview process.
- Manage performance and reviews of more junior designers.
- Cleared to work and located in Sweden, and willing to relocate or commute to Boden.
- 5+ years experience in game development as a game designer or equivalent, in collaboration with other technical and non-technical disciplines.
- 2+ years experience on a AA/AAA game as a designer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience owning features and/or leading small teams.
- Experience working with scripting languages and/or visual scripting systems.
- Experience in Unreal, Unity, or other engines.
- Comfort in source control systems such as Git or SVN.
- Written and spoken English fluency.
- Shipped a AA/AAA game as a designer.
- Shipped a game on consoles.
- Experience in UGC development (e.g., Minecraft, Roblox).
- Experience in managing other designers and/or small teams.
- Swedish language proficiency.
- A portfolio of work where you are ready to discuss what you did, and why you did it.
- Side skills in Programming, Art, Audio, Writing, etc. If you have any gaming-related side skills, please tell us!
© 2023 House of How Games LLC. All Rights reserved.